- Die size is tailored to be a mechanical match with the original component
- Bonding pad locations are tailored to the original component footprint for wire bonding compatibility
- Parameters are warranted against either original manufacturers datasheet or customer agreed specification.
- Flexibility on minimum production quantities and costing structure
- Significantly lower engagement cost compared with high volume driven semiconductor companies
- Long term product support and availability.
Indicative Lead times
Lead-times vary based on component technology, however firm lead-times are generated during the evaluation / quotation process.
- Low to Medium complexity digital IC - E.g. Logic gate variant - Typically 14 Wks
- Lower to Medium complexity analog / linear - E.g. Legacy amplifier - Typically 14-16 WKs
- Lower to Medium complexity mixed signal IC - E.g. Slope modulator / demodulator - 24 Wks
- Medium to High complexity Digital IC - 48 Wks
- Medium to High complexity Analog IC - 48 Wks
* PLEASE NOTE - All components must be confirmed obsolete for us to engage.
The process is broken into four main stages, evaluation, quotation, development and qualification.
Review original datasheet and die topology (if available)
Confirm end use, customer diligence, technology export compliance
Obtain samples - Either package or bare die can be used
Check IC for patented IP before proceeding further. Patented IP criteria are below.
- The original IC contains patent IP essential to the end function then a license must be sought from the original maker. No license = No development
- The original IC contains patent IP but the same end function can be achieved using our own alternative technology. The original patent IP is not used.
- There is no patent IP present.
Discuss die qualification / specification requirements - E.g. MIL-PRF-38534 Class H / Class K or other standards.
Confirm any parameter behavior required outside of standard datasheet.
If all above checks are compliant:
- Provide price - MOQ (Minimum order qty) basis upward with price breaks.
- Provide lead-time - To first silicon + qualification time
- Please note - Depending on complexity and development time a stage payment structure may be required.
3) Development cycle
Development of schematic diagram
SPICE parameters and simulation modeling
Develop wafer probe test schedule and test tooling
Wafer fab - The part may require multiple test + design revision cycles before release of first silicon
Release first silicon
Wafer dicing & inspection
Qualification sample assembly
Qualification test flow
Customer also has the option to receive first silicon ahead of any qualification plan where required.
Feature sizes from 3µm to 65nm
How to investigate further?
A budgetary costing and leadtime can be provided after analysis of the original component datasheet. An available copy of the bare die layout or geometry is also useful to the process but not essential. If the budgetary returned is in the right area then further analysis of mechanical samples takes place in order to provide a firm formal quote. Where no mechanical die samples are available then a sample can be extracted from packaged parts.